Pinterest Revealed: 5 Worthy Finds for Accounting &Tax Pros
If you haven’t heard or read about Pinterest by now, you have either been living under a rock or buried under tax returns in your office since the beginning of the year. I am guessing the latter rings true for most tax pros, so I will tell you about what you have been missing.
Pinterest is the relatively new social sharing site that mimics the old bulletin boards you remember from your childhood. Virtual bulletin “boards” can be created, and then images and videos can be “pinned”. The images will then link back to other sites. For example, a picture of a chicken casserole will link back to the originating site with a recipe. As I have explored the site personally over the last several months, pinning pictures of food and do-it-yourself ideas for at home, I have often wondered what kind of appeal it might have to tax pros. For those tax pros that are tired of reading lengthy tax code sections and have an inbox filled with blog articles and newsletters, this image-only site could be a welcome change.
So, I started exploring. While I do think what this site is still in its infancy with respect to what it can offer tax pros, I did find some worthy stuff to share. Below are my top five finds:
1. Tax Season Gift Idea –When you are working long hours and need to recognize someone in the office, you don’t have a lot of time to come up with a clever idea. What fellow colleague in tax wouldn’t love to get this basket during tax season?
2. Tax Infographics – If you read this blog, you know I like infographics. Here is a Pinterest board full of great tax-related ones.
3. Funny Videos - Yes, I also love funny accounting and tax videos. Tax pros are often way too serious, so finding something to laugh at often provides great stress relief. A recent Accounting Today article about Pinterest showcased this Accounting Firm Videos board. I had seen two of them, but the one below I had not. Enjoy!
4. Tax Bloggers – Some of the tax bloggers out there have also jumped on this band wagon. Kay Bell writes the popular tax blog, Don’t Mess With Taxes, and has created a “Taxes. Yes, taxes.” board sharing various images that link back to her blog posts and other fun things she comes across. She recently posted this hilarious golf video featuring 2012 Masters’ winner, Bubba Watson, and said there should be a “goofball tax” for these guys. It can’t be about taxes all of the time. Pretty funny stuff!
5. Funny Sayings & Cartoons – This “Accountants Having Fun” board has some funny pictures, cartoons and sayings. Here are two of my favorites:
None of these finds are going to help tax pros do their jobs. However, it was a fun experiment to see what is currently out there for accounting and tax pros. If nothing else, maybe you can find some recipes you can use for after tax season. Happy pinning!
Do you use Pinterest? Do you think there might some value for tax professionals? I would love to hear from you. Please share in the comments below.